Thursday, April 16, 2009

Pear Butter

Do you always stick to your shopping list? While I was looking for preserves on my latest grocery run, I saw a line of apple butter, pear butter, and pumpkin butter. Since I've already had apple butter before (mostly an autumn thing, from farmer's markets), I decided to get a jar of the Medford Farms pear butter. The ingredients section lists pears, pear juice, and nothing else. 

After toasting some bread, I open the jar and spread the pear butter evenly on each slice. It's light brown, not too sweet but I definitley taste the pears. Probably have to try it with some kind of cheese (pears and goat cheese really go together) or ice cream. This site suggests adding pear butter to yogurt, cottage cheese, and oatmeal. Heating it to make pear sauce. Another site suggests it as a topping on muffins, pancakes, waffles, etc. 

Google "pear butter" and the list includes some recipes as well. Most of them including spices (clove, nutmeg, orange). Maybe one day when I have the patience I'll try my own. In the meantime I'm going to enjoy that jar of pear butter. 

1 comment:

st2128 said...

Hmmm..pear butter. sounds delicious.

By the way, I'm almost through all the honey sticks. Love them. thanks so much.