A few days before the storm, I saw a recipe for orange mocha in my inbox and decided to try it out during the weekend since trains were suspended anyway.
Ingredients (for 2 people)
- 1 packet of Via instant coffee (Veranda, I didn't have espresso so this was a good sub)
- 2 cups of milk (I used non-fat, you can use anything from skim to half-n-half)
- 10 tbsp of hot chocolate mix (I had Max Brenner's dark chocolate handy, you can use your favorite mix)
- 2 tbsp of turbinado sugar (you can skip this or use any type of sugar you like to taste, it was just what was in the pantry)
- 1 orange (for zesting only, but go ahead and eat the inside anyway!)
- Optional items: nutmeg, cinnamon, other spices of choice.
- orange cookie (optional. I happened to have one of these sitting around from Maison Kaiser. it was a nice chocolate cookie with candied orange pieces. you can also obviously drink your hot chocolate with any cookie or sweet you like.
- Measure out all ingredients
- Take a knife or zester and get a good 3-4 large strips of orange zest
- Pour milk into small sauce pan to heat up on low heat
- Mix in sugar, hot chocolate mix, coffee, and orange zest strips
- After low simmer for a few min and most items mixed, pour out hot chocolate in serving mugs (discard orange zest strips)
- Top each mug with whipped cream, marshmallows, and small amount of fine orange zest
Sources:Original mocha recipe with video: http://1912pike.com/recipe-orange-mocha/
Four ways to froth milk: https://youtu.be/iLNmPRPQ6UU