Thursday, July 26, 2007

Old San Juan

765 9th Ave (btw 51 and 52nd)
212.262.7013

mood
the music impressed me. the kind of warm Latin music that you can dance to.

decor
very simple but the framed mirror as well the one fake window with old west painted "outside" were good touches.

drinks
I didn't try a mojito although I saw the bartender prepare her pitcher of mint leaves for the night.
Got a coconut soda which was dangerous and good at the same time.

food
Sauteed Jumbo Shrimp with Garlic Sauce, served with White Rice
Not enough shrimp but at least they tasted good.
Mofongo Relleno de Pernil (Mashed Plantain with Pork)
They gave me at least 5 pieces of good pork soaked in this light tomato sauce with chive. The mashed plantain was a dense ball. Very interesting, I thought.
Side order of Fried Yuca
Well, I had to try it at least once. It was kind of blah. Although the beans that came with our food was yummy.

bottom line
hearty and comfort food

No comments: