Saturday, May 12, 2007

Mesa Grill New York

102 Fifth Ave
New York, NY 10011
212.807.7400
website

One of Bobby Flay (Food Network Iron Chef anyone?) restaurants.
Beautiful decor and we had a lunch there to celebrate K.'s graduation.

appetizers
*shrimp+grouper ceviche: with serrano chiles, tomatoes, and key lime juice.
-Yummy and cool, great for a warm summer day. Colorful.
*"rough cut" raw tuna nachos: with mango hot sauce and avocado crema.
-It was really rough cut...almost looked mushy. I did liked the blue corn nacho chips with the colorful sauces though. Blue, pink, and green all on one plate.
*blue corn pancake: filled with bbq duck, habanero chile sauce and star anise sauce.
-amazing, definitely worth ordering again.

entree
*sixteen spice chicken: with red chili peanut sauce+butternut squash tamale with hazelnut cinnamon butter.
-Really can't complain about this. Maybe if you're starving, the portion size may appear minimal. But since we shared a bunch of appetizers and it was lunch, I thought it was just right. I really liked the butternut squash tamale, almost like a sweet dessert for a side. Very nice.

dessert
*chocolate peanut butter mousse (not listed on the menu online)
-You can't lose with chocolate and peanut butter combo. I loved this.
*warm dark chocolate crepe
-Sweeter than I expected but too sweet for some relatives, but I guess it's not something you can't get elsewhere. I was actually surprised the presentation for both desserts were not that impressive. I guess I must be spoiled by some really fancy presentations at other not as famous restaurants to expect more.

No comments: