Monday, March 12, 2007

Outback

website
branch: NJ, somewhere on Rt. 22.

I don't usually review national chain restaurants, except maybe my previous entry on Bubba Gump Shrimp. Even if that place isn't everywhere. I wanted to note that the appetizers are quite good at Outback Steakhouse, in case if you missed out on your multiple trips to the place. If you can't tell, I had gone with a big group. Big groups are fun for ordering and trying different appetizers.

Follow the menu for more detailed descriptions by the restaurant.

Beer
Fosters for everyone (came in huge beer mugs, not frosted). I thought it was light. My gourmet cousin got a Sam Adams seasonal White Ale which had a hint of berry sweet aftertaste. Everyone at the table became increasing envious when he/she sampled this choice.
After some digging around, here's what the Sam Adams website said of White Ale (at least I think that's what he got, we all forgot the name after we sampled it, go figure):
The spice blend includes orange and lemon peel, dried plum, grains of paradise, coriander, anise, hibiscus, rose hips, tamarind, and vanilla.

Appetizers (fav. ranked on top)
Seared Ahi Tuna
this was gone within seconds. the sauce that came with it was great, too.
bread (free for the table)
dark bread, still warm. I've been told to saw slowly in order to not crush the thing while cutting.
Darling Point Crab Cakes
I'm usually not a fan of crab cakes, and I have not tried them in Maryland. but the ones here were very tasty.
Grilled Shrimp on The Barbie
Not saying it's better than Bubba Gump, but definitely exceeded my expectations. For some reason I'm always somewhat skeptical about seafood at a steak themed place.
Kookaburra Wings
I prefer my wings hot and spicy, although the seasoning and spices on those were good.

Soup:
French Onion
wasn't impressed because it was too salty for me. the bread and cheese bit worked out ok though. Maybe I was supposed to eat this with more bread?

Meat (!):
Ribeye14 oz. medium rare
Took gourmet cousin's advice on this item and was very pleased with the choice. He had the same thing, but rare. I tried a bit of this "rare" meat and still liked my own better.
Salmon
Dad ordered this and said it was fine. I tried a bit and thought it was way too fishy for my tastes. I think I'm wired to prefer tuna to salmon and that's that. Well...except smoked salmon in bagels.

Besides the long wait we endured while watching adventures of Bobby Flay on FoodNetwork, the meal was quite fullfilling. If you're ever hungry and waiting at a restaurant, just turn your head away from the TV with FoodNetwork on it. In fact, if you're not fed at home, don't ever watch FoodNetwork. Watching people on TV eat good food is really not that enjoyable.

No comments: