Friday, November 15, 2013

Origami Meetup Group Artist Trading Card 2013

My friend Linda loves artist trading cards (ATCs) and organized a card swap for the origami meetup group with the theme “Red, Orange, and Brown”. As always, I started brainstorming and planning my concept as soon as the trade was announced. This is a bit of a break from my previously heavily geometric/hydrangea-ish cards. Although the process can be viewed as a geometric mathematical problem to make 6-inch squares into ATC sized cards.
Design inspiration
My friend Nate specializes in making ATCs out of origami paper. I liked this concept from his Origami Heaven ATC trade and wanted to try it out myself.  
image
While playing with paper to figure out the crease pattern, I managed to find a way to weave a basket which I used as a card/basket.
image
Materials
The Card/basket is made from 6inch patterned kami. Apple and carrot are each made from half of a 3inch kami. So they’re both made from rectangles.
Revisions
Unlike my very first ATC which had a “secret theme”, I did share my process/prototypes for the OMG trade with friends. I’d like to thank Linda for her paper donation. My original prototype was a very boring plain brown. Unfortunately she didn’t have enough paper for all 9 cards in the set. Luckily Doug had received a batch of pattern paper from Linda so he had donated some as well. I don’t think people will mind that their baskets are slightly different. Jason liked the basket and suggested that I add some ridges/grooves on the carrot to make it more realistic.
Final 9 cards in the set
“Harvest” (OMG ATC Trade 2013)
Red, orange, and brown are autumn harvest colors in this ATC set. The basket is made from one sheet of paper and doubles as the ATC card.   
harvest
To read more, take a look at the next page.
Process Photos
Collection of inspirations, various prototypes, etc.
http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=0CYsmLRw1bMWXn

Other Fun Stuff
ATC Crease Pattern made from Inkscape. Unfortunately Blogger doesn’t support svg so I’ve made it into a png file.
ATC_CP
[Pics of other cards placeholder] Origami USA Convention ATC Trade [blog entry]
Origami Heaven ATC Trade [shutterfly photo album]

1 comment:

Linda said...

Nice post... ^_^