Sunday, April 08, 2012

The real Italian

Many of you may be familiar with the chain Potbelly. Although it has been around for a long time in cities like Chicago and Washington DC, for whatever reason it only recently invaded the streets of NYC. While I’ve tried the top 3 or 4 signature sandwiches, I always end up going back to the Italian sandwich (always with hot peppers, Italian seasoning, and a bit of oil/vinegar).

Yesterday J., his cousin and I went to the auto show at Javits (more photos to come) and stopped by a lunch place recommended by Yelp. Honestly I wasn’t sure I wanted to deal with the food lines inside the convention center. The three of us enjoyed some nice sandwiches and were even offered some fresh mozzarella as a treat. It’s hard to justify ordering the Italian at Potbelly, now. This place also kind of reminded me of the other Italian sandwich place Steph took us last time. (my entry for Torrisi link)

Sergimmo Salumeria
9th Ave between 35+36th St
http://www.sergimmo.com/site/

sandwich #7 Veneto: Soppressata, mozzarella, hot peppers, and arugula (with a bit of oil/balsamic vinegar).  this arrives on a small cutting board and smells absolutely marvelous (probably the combo of cold cuts and the oil/vinegar goodness).

drink: espresso. they offered to water it down for me if I insist on coffee (no I didn’t) and they also don’t make lattes. just drink it straight up and don’t ask questions.

other drinks: peach ice tea and blood orange soda. be sure to get some drinks since the soppressata will make you thirsty.

No comments: