Monday, March 19, 2007

John Mayer "Continuum"

John Mayer
official wiki

Personally, I've never liked his voice much and I thought the lyrics for "Your Body's a Wonderland" and "Daughters" weren't so inspiring. His songs are really overplayed, too. And he's won a few Grammy's, which is impressive but doesn't mean I have to like him.

However, despite all of my previous opinions of him and his songs, and the fact he had to gossip about his relationship with Jessica in Japanese at the Grammys, I have to admit the single Waiting for the World to Change from the Album Continuum is growing on me. Not that I think the lyrics are great (it's not, it's actually perfect theme for slackers of the world), I simply love the music parts, especially when the music part takes over (around 2 min. 15 sec. or so).

Later, I sampled his CD Contiuum on Ruckus and was so surprised by the quality that I've added it to my "to buy list" next time I visit to a CD store. I really enjoyed how his mellow voice melts perfectly into the simple yet melodic instrumental parts. I have not found a song that I disliked yet.

I'm an officially converted John Mayer fan. Once I avoided the overplayed Grammy winning songs of his (well, except Waiting for the World to Change), I really started to appreciate the guy's talent for creating some of the best make out background songs ever. Just listen to "Gravity". Okay, so maybe the lyrics are not romantic, but the music is definitely there.

No comments: