Monday, November 10, 2014

World origami day Artist Trading Cards

Event: Origami Heaven, Stony Brook, Long Island
"Official" Theme: ATC CTA (card trading anarchy)
Title: Celebrate World Origami Day "Back to basics"
When Talo relaxed the rules / guidance substantially for Origami Heaven this year, I decided to try something different. 

Origami model selection:

Instead of focusing on a theme or a super complicated origami model, I decided to pay tribute to 'the basics', i.e. Origami bases! I first tried to line up a few preliminary bases but eventually decided to use windmill base and kite base for my final card. 

Paper selection:

When I was showing my prototype to friends, Wes suggested that I use some translucent paper to show off the layers. I have to thank her for providing a stash of such paper. Some people thought they were vellum and some thought glassine. Not sure which one (paper experts feel free to comment). They came in a variety of colors and leave very permanent white crease lines. I would not recommend them for super complex  models with many reversing folds and/or sinks. Crease pattern is the way to go. In fact, to avoid extra crease lines, I figured out how to fold the crease pattern for windmill. 

Color selection:

Things look good in threes so I just mixed and matched card back, windmill, and kite bases in different colors. 

Labels:

Front is written with crayons. Pens don't work on the textured paper very well.  Back label is done by hand with pencil / mechanical pencil. I didn't want to do extensive labels because I wanted the card to be clean and not clutter with stickers. 

Appearance/assembly:

Card is see-through if held up to light. As windmill and kite are both wind/aerodynamic, I left them unattached in sleeve so they can moved about. (I like to be poetic even if others may accuse of me of being lazy here)

Gallery:

You can see more drafts of cards in gallery below. In order to just capture the spirit and not bore you with all the drafts, I did a bit of selection of all the photos. If you really want to see more, let me know. I also attached cards I got back from the trade, including an ATQ (artist trading quilt by Judy!)

Links to my other ATCs: http://azuleteats.blogspot.com/search/label/ATC



Permalink to Gallery (if below link doesn't work): http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=0CYsmLRw1bMWeS


No comments: