Saturday, November 24, 2007

Food Roundups Oct/Nov Edition

For the places where I picked up business cards from but didn't have to a chance to review, I've listed their vital info below. Ordered from uptown (more like mid) to downtown.

//Hell's Kitchen Area//
Delphinium Home (home decor, not food related)
653 Ninth Ave NYC
212.333.3213.

Kyotofu (Japanese tea house and sweets, tofu specialty)
705 Ninth Ave (btw 48th and 49th)
212.974.6012
website
notes: Loved their black sesame sweet tofu and tea. The chef's selection was a work of art. You have to try it to believe it. and I'm not even a vegan or anything. Just a curious foodie.


//Time Square//
Tony's Di Napolis (family style)
147 W 43rd St
212.221.0100
website
notes: make a reservation early! great place with huge portions for share. can't remember what I got but their calamari and pasta were superb. will take Bob here to see if the Italian restaurant meets our Italian restaurant expectations.

//Greenwich Village//
Varsano's Chocolate
172 W. 4th St
212.352.1171
website
Note: randomly ran into this place. As I was browsing, the owner handed me a chocolate dipped pretzel. Amaaaazing. I actually bought a small box of fish shaped milk-chocolates for Bob. He finished it in a few days and had only the best reviews. Just went the website, which was a bit on the casual side (with the flashing text and whatnot). But apparently they also take orders for delivery. Here's the number to call: 800.414.4718

Greenwich Letterpress
39 Christopher St
212.989.7464
website
Note: I found so much stationery and pretty stuff here that I swore I will go there more often. It came close to replacing Papyrus as my favorite stationery store, if not for the fact that Papyrus is everywhere. Definitely a fun place to explore and get unique gifts! Their website is more geared towards customizing as opposed to reflecting the store inventory.

//LES?//
Papabubble
380 Broome St
212.966.2599
website
With all the hype in the media, Gothamist, and Daily Candy, and one failed attempt to locate the store, I did not find this place all that amazing. Sure, the ready made candy is awesome since it's warm and still a bit soft. The other stuff is quite overpriced although pretty to look at. I eventually bought a small bag of the citrus mix because each individual candy looks like a cross section of orange/lemon/lime. Pretty neat. The website is beautiful. Maybe it will just take a while for the NYC shop to look chic like the other locations.

No comments: