Monday, March 03, 2014

Winter Restaurant Week 2014

Say what you will about Restaurant Week (http://www.nycgo.com/restaurantweek/), a deal is a deal, especially for steak and seafood restaurants. Even though the three week long event is finishing up this Friday, I hope to be able to fit another restaurant in there. Or at least make plans for the next restaurant week.

Looking back at my blog, the last time I participated in Restaurant Week was in 2008. I went to City Lobster with some friends (entry here) and had a grand time binging on lobsters. I did check out City Lobster for this restaurant week but decided to venture out and try something new this time.

Many times people who don’t like restaurant week because the restaurants tend be very crowded and the actual value of the prix fixe vary from place to place. After looking through several steakhouses in the financial district, I decided on Mark Joseph by the South Street Seaport (http://markjosephsteakhouse.com/index.html). Full disclosure, I’ve been to both Capital Grille and Delmonico’s before and they’re fantastic. So… wanted to try somewhere new.

Since it was a Monday and we had a reservation, I didn’t have to deal with the crowded factor. I’m sure many people took the opportunity to check out this steakhouse during restaurant week. My friends Wes and Linda joined me for this meal and below are some pics courtesy of Linda.

Not pictured is the Sam Adams seasonal on tap (Cold Snap). When it comes to Sam Adams, I love the regular Boston Lager but also love Boston Ale, Winter Ale, and Oktoberfest. I used to enjoy the Nobel Pils but may have had too much of it one spring and honestly can’t have it anymore. This is my first having a Cold Snap and I have to say, it may be my new favorite Sam Adams.

Filet Mignon (8oz) with Canadian Bacon – Bacon is an appetizer but I recommend saving a bit to have with your steak (delicious combo). All steaks came with a side of creamed spinach and mashed potatoes.

IMG_20140224_201312

Sirloin Steak (20oz)

IMG_20140224_201300

Strawberry and Cream (Schlag)

IMG_20140224_205008

This place made me a restaurant week believer again. I recommend it for special occasions (look forward to trying the steak for two). Food, service, and atmosphere are top notch.

No comments: