Sunday, March 14, 2010

Lake Placid Dining Review

Fireside Steakhouse
229 Main Street
Lake Placid, NY‎
(518) 523-2682‎
This place is a short walk from our lodge and on the recommended list by our host at the lodge. My group ordered prime-rib there, excellent and hardy. I got the chicken/shrimp/sausage pasta which came in a huge plate. I barely finished 3/4 of it with the help of my companions. The decor in this place is fabulous, with a real fireplace that burns logs. I think most of the places in Lake Placid keep their Christmas lights and some decor throughout the ski season so it’s very festive. I had some nice warm apple cider which had a healthy dose of cinnamon. I can imagine the holidays must be really nice here. Beer selection was ok but I didn’t get one.

Lake Placid Pub and Brewery
813 Mirror Lake Drive
Lake Placid, NY‎
(518) 523-3813‎
http://www.ubuale.com/
Probably the bitterest IPA (Lake Placid IPA) I’ve tasted in my life. K. was adventurous and ordered a Fresh Powder Milk Stout. C and I got the 46er which was still quite heavy but at least not as bitter. Our friendly bartender poured us sample size shots of all the beers on tap and told us that the town has a pretty vibrant bar life that closes around 2 or 3am. Coming from NYC, we were all relieved after hearing that. Since the slopes close early (4:30pm, they don’t have night ski like most slopes in PA) we were worried that bars closed early too. Since we had dinner early, we didn’t catch too many people at the bar. We played a game of pool and some darts and headed out.

Great Adirondack Steak and Seafood
34 Main Street
Lake Placid, NY
(518) 523-1629‎
http://www.greatadirondacksteakandseafood.com/index.html
CL ordered a pasta dish. C. got a porterhouse (pretty good). K. got the rib eye (I wasn’t crazy about it). I got the surf n turf which included half a lobster and 14 oz prime rib (amazing!). Minor issue is the density of the mashed potatoes. I was expecting something more fluffy. For drinks I ordered a Ausable Wulff Red Ale and then did a bunch of refills of root beer made by the local brewery. K. got some coffee flavored beer which was rather unique. In the end everyone who’s ordered drinks can take home a souvenir glass (with various logos, such as ski, hockey, snowboard, snowshoeing). For dessert I tasted the port ice cream which is always a win. Overall probably the best meal I’ve had in Lake Placid. Will definitely come back next time I’m in Lake Placid.

Surf and Turf

Dining Resource
http://www.adirondackguide.com/ncdining/ncdining.html

No comments: