Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Relator

-Pete Yorn and Scarlett Johansson-
[Girl] When I met you,
I didn't know what to do. 
I was tired, I was hungry, I fight. 
Now I'm away,
I write home everyday 
and I see you on the TV at night.

[Both](Chorus)
You can see that life's for us to talk about.
You can leave whenever you want out.
Whoa. You don't relate to me,
no girl,
you don't respect me,
no girl,
no girl. Oh yeah.

[Girl] When I met you,
I didn't know what to do,
but I noticed that I didn't really feel.
Now you're away,
you write home everyday. I don't beg,
I don't borrow,
I steal.

(Chorus)
You don't think that life's for us to talk about.
You can leave whenever you want out,
you want out. Well,
you don't relate to me,
no girl. You don't respect me,
no girl. (you can leave when ever you want out)
And you don't relate to me,
no girl. And you don't respect me,
no girl. (You can leave whenever you want out)
No you don't relate to me,
no girl. And you don't respect me,
no girl. No girl. Yeah.

101.9 RXP is playing this song to death now. Funny I don't even remember how I first heard of this song, maybe just itunes or amazon music surfing. I thought the music was catchy and Scarlett Jo's voice was quite lovely and breathy. I found the lyrics on some youtube video so it may or may not be correct. I always thought the line was "you can't leave whenever you want out" because the guy was trying to persuade the girl to give the relationship another chance. Who knows. Simple tune but it works. Funny how the album is about break up yet the songs are so lovely!

I also want to go on a tangent and lament the lack of duets in mainstream today. Remember Grease summer loving song where the girls and the boys have different part and it was great fun? Chinese karaoke places also loves duets because couples enjoy singing sappy love songs together. Here in the U.S. we just don't have much of that (maybe Moulin Rouge?). When you do get a collaboration between a male artist and a female artist, you just get some chorus and a solo with different people. I guess happy couples don't buy albums here? Anyone else in a stable relationship and still enjoy awesome music (including emo, dark, moody stuff?)

No comments: