Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Boston Seafood

VOX
755 Boylston Street
Boston, MA 02116
617.424.8300
website

Atlantic Fish
761 Boylston Street
Boston, MA 02116
617.267.4000
website

Related post (link) was my previous trip to Boston and I had such a good time at Atlantic Fish that I wanted to take more people to the restaurant. It just happened that they were under renovation so we went next door to VOX which was great too.

Decor/Location
//how do you lose when you're across from the convention center? very nice inside. we were probably underdressed but hey...everyone loves tourists right? I didn't get a drink but they had a number of good beer on tap (now i regret not getting anything...beer in Boston is soooo good. well there's always my next trip I suppose.)

Starters
//clam chowder: while it's still better than the chowder I've had outside Boston, I think I liked the chowder from Atlantic Fish better. Or maybe it's hard to compare since I've had Atlantic Fish first. My travel companions really enjoyed it though.
//calamari: am I the only one surprised that this didn't come with marinara sauce? anyway, I did really like the pickled peppers that came with the dish though. Something really nice about sour flavors and seafood...kind of like how I really like salt n vinegar chips, or fish n chips with malt vinegar. I have had better calamari though...so it was slightly disappointing.
//crab cake: my travel buddies liked it but I wasn't too crazy about it. I wasn't even crazy about it when I was in the DC/MA area. So I don't claim to be a crab cake expert.


Entrees
//yellowfin tuna with cous cous: you can't go wrong with tuna. and the cous cous was one that i liked (usually not a fan)
//halibut: really flavorful. now that i re-read the menu i noticed it came with lobster potato and shitake mushroom (no wonder why it was so packed with flavor!)
//mussels: I miss my French style mussels...otherwise this was fine I guess.
//grilled salmon: possibly the most healthy thing on the menu. I usually don't like salmon unless it's smoked but this salmon was surprisingly tasty. It probably had to do with the way they cooked it.

No comments: