Saturday, March 10, 2007

Bubba Gump Shrimp

Website
Location: Times Square
Specialty: Drinks and shrimp!
Theme: Forrest Gump

Since the Hard Rock next door had an hour and half wait, we decided to hop into the land of Forrest Gump. For those of you who loved the movie, dedicate your visit in memory of Bubba. For those of you who haven't seen the movie, go buy it! It's only $10 on amazon.

I had a Peach Velvet, which involved Absolut vanilla, some kind of peach flavored alcohol, and frozen yogurt. Less thick than a smoothie but just as sweet. I felt like I was having dessert the whole time.

Appetizer was hush pups, which according to the waiting staff, is the best you'll ever have. I liked them but wish they gave more. The portion given was hardly enough for party of three. But I guess appetizers are just that, enough to make you want more. The hush pups came in a Bubba Gump shrimp bucket lined with what looked like newspaper printed. All news relating to the time period covered by the movie.

I ordered Accidental Shrimp, a dish with mahi mahi, shrimp, and rice with a sauce that was a bit tart probably because of the lime juice. In any case, I liked it better than the bucket of shrimp that I ordered last time I visited the restaurant. As much as I love shrimp, I always need a little bit of variety in my dinner.

My favorite part of the table setting is the sign that had two parts: Run Forrest Run, Stop Forrest Stop. You flip it to the second when you want some attention from the waiting staff. I'm not a huge fan of the gift shop because the shrimp mascot is a bit creepy. Some of the drinks on the menu do come with glasses, so that's cool.

On a random note, I thought I had walked an avenue block in New York without spotting a Starbucks (or two or three). I was proven wrong when I finally saw the green sign outside one of the places on the block. I haven't been to one in a few months, actually.

No comments: